Chef in the Schoolyard

Written by Tim Fetter, CEC, Executive Chef, Duquesne University and posted by Jamie Moore On Tuesday September 16, I had the privilege to spend the afternoon with some students at the Greater Pittsburgh Urban League Charter School in the East Liberty neighborhood of Pittsburgh. Grow Pittsburgh has a terrific Edible Schoolyard program that creates on-site gardens…

5 Ways You Can Affect Change on Food Day

Food Day is a nationwide celebration and movement for healthy, affordable and sustainable food.  Since the mission of Food Day is right in step with our EcoSteps and FarmSource programs, we decided to make a brief video on how people can get involved.  Check it out here: 5 Ways You Can Affect Change on Food…

Canning Tomatoes

Some of you might know that I enjoy cooking. I canned some tomatoes at my house, but I actually taught a canning class for members of Slow Food PGH, which I think is a little more exciting.

Fresh Vegetables and Public Schools

By Kevin Jones, Executive Chef at Maryland Institute College of Art Recently I had the privilege to work with a local farmer and our public school system to enlighten our next generation of children about fresh vegetables and their benefits. I had a candid conversation with one of our local elementary school administrators and they…

Composting and Campers @ Chatham University

By Leslie Ekstrand, General Manager at Chatham University Here at Parkhurst Dining Services at Chatham University, we are always searching for ways to lessen our carbon footprint and reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills.  Four years ago we started a before and after consumer composting program in our main dining hall. …

The Season is Finally Upon Us!

By Tim Fetter, CEC, Executive Chef at Highmark Pittsburgh Here in the Pittsburgh region, chefs, farmers, and the general public can rejoice that our growing season has finally arrived.  After what always seems like a long winter and now what as been a very wet spring, we are seeing some nicer weather that should produce…